|Crockpot Lentil Vegetable Barley Stew|
- 1/2 large or 1 small onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 medium zucchini or yellow summer squash, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1 cup thinly sliced carrots
- 1/2 cup red lentils
- 1/2 cup yellow split peas
- 1/2 cup barley
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 3 cups vegetable broth (or water & bouillon)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Layer vegetables in crock in the order listed. Add lentils, split peas and barley.
Add tomatoes including liquid. Stir salt, sugar and pepper into broth and pour over all. This will make a thick soup or stew; if thinner is desired add more water. Cook on LOW 8 hours or on HIGH 4 hours.