|Savory Veggie Bread Pudding|
- 4 slices whole grain bread, stale is fine
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill leaves (or 1/3 the amount dried dill)
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika, plus more for sprinkling
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup unsweetened nondairy milk
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion
- 4 cups raw chopped vegetables, any/all of the following: small cauliflower florets, broccoli florets, peeled diced eggplant, thinly sliced zucchini, diced red bell pepper, halved or quartered mushrooms, corn kernels (may use frozen or canned, drained), seeded and diced tomatoes (may use canned diced tomatoes, drained)
- 1/2 cup shredded vegan mozzarella
- 1/4 cup vegan mayonnaise
Tear bread into bite-size pieces and place in a large bowl. Sprinkle with dill, paprika, thyme, salt, black pepper; toss to evenly distribute. Drizzle in 2/3 of the milk and stir to moisten; set aside.
In a large covered skillet, place 1 1/2 inches of water and a steamer basket. Steam cauliflower (if using) 7 minutes; transfer to bowl with bread, mix and set aside. Steam broccoli (if using) 5 minutes; add to the bowl, mix and set aside. Steam eggplant (if using) 3 minutes; add to the bowl. If using canned or frozen vegetables, add them to the bowl, mix and set aside.
Remove steamer basket and drain skillet. Heat oil in skillet on medium and sauté onion until translucent, 3 minutes. Add zucchini, bell pepper, and fresh corn kernels if using, and sauté until softening, 5 minutes. Transfer sauté, and fresh tomatoes if using, to the bowl, mix and set aside. Add mushrooms to skillet and sauté until liquid has been released and evaporated, and mushrooms are browning, 7 to 10 minutes; transfer to the bowl.
To vegetable mixture add remaining milk, mozzarella, and mayonnaise; mix well. Transfer to prepared pan. Sprinkle top with paprika. Bake until top is golden and edges are crusty, 35 to 40 minutes. Brown top under broiler 4 to 5 minutes. Let stand 5 to 10 minutes, then cut and serve.