- 6 cups broccoli florets and sliced peeled stems, or substitute up to 3 cups with chopped cauliflower (leftovers are fine)
- 8 cups vegetable broth or bouillon and water
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 3 cups unsweetened nondairy milk
- 1/2 cup cornstarch to thicken, optional
- Salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
If using fresh broccoli, in a large saucepan bring broth to a boil, add broccoli, cover and simmer 8 minutes. Add garlic and simmer 2 minutes longer, or until broccoli is tender. Or, if using leftover broccoli in a sauce, rinse in hot water before using. Bring broth to a boil, add garlic and simmer 2 minutes. Turn off heat and add broccoli.
Puree using an immersion blender, or countertop blender in batches, until very smooth; return soup to saucepan.
If planning to thicken soup, whisk cornstarch into milk until smooth. Reheat soup to a simmer. Add milk and stir constantly until soup thickens. Season with salt and pepper to taste, and serve. Alternatively, to serve thin soup cold, omit the cornstarch, stir in the milk off-heat and chill before serving.